Marnie's Project Experience includes:
Environmental Compliance Approvals (ECA), Licenses and Permits
Mrs. Freer has prepared applications for Environmental Compliance Approval for facilities in the glass manufacturing, automotive parts manufacturing, carbon black manufacturing, and chemical manufacturing sectors in Southern Ontario. Preparation of the applications involved:
- Development of strategic approaches to address future operational flexibility,
- Preparation of emission estimates using emission factors, mass balance and other methodologies to estimate emissions
- Conducting air dispersion modelling of contaminants
- Co-ordination of Acoustic Assessments
- Negotiations with MOE to ensure appropriate terms and conditions are in ECA
Projects have included:
- Application for ECA with Limited Operational Flexibility for an insulation fabrication plant
- Application for ECA with Limited Operational Flexibility for a glass fiber manufacturing facility including enhanced air dispersion modeling to reflect complex building geometry and noise abatement program.
- Expansion of a carbon black facility to allow for future production modifications
Air Dispersion Modelling
Mrs. Freer has completed air dispersion modeling studies using regulatory models including AERMOD and SCREEN3 as well as the Ontario regulatory air model. Most of these studies have required the development and assessment of potential solution options to maintain or obtain compliance with regulatory standards. Facilities assessed include carbon black manufacturing facility; glass fiber insulation manufacturing facilities; glass textile manufacturing facility; etc.
Projects have included:
- Refined dispersion modeling analyses of manufacturing facilities in Ontario using AERMOD. These projects involved modeling the plant under multiple conditions, identifying possible solution options and subsequent modeling of various solution development scenarios.
- A dispersion modeling analysis of an Ontario petrochemical refinery in conjunction with an application for a Comprehensive Certificate of approval for air. The project involved modeling of the facility using a defined meteorological data set and comparing the results to provincial standards.
- A comprehensive odour modeling study of a manufacturing facility using AERMOD and SCREEN3. This project involved modeling numerous combinations of sources contributing to odourous emissions, and further solution development modeling to identify effective abatement solutions.
Mrs. Freer has extensive experience in compiling facility-wide emission inventories and reports for industrial facilities to support NPRI, Federal and Provincial Greenhouse Gases, and Toxics Reduction requirements.
Some of her clients include:
Petrochemical manufacturer in Sarnia, Ontario
Automotive manufacturer in London, Ontario
Chemical manufacturer in Sarnia, Ontario
Fiberglass insulation manufacturer in Toronto, Ontario
Mrs. Freer has comprehensive experience in the management of environmental, health and safety data. Selected projects include:
- Administer the LEHDER Environmental Information Management Service (LEIMS) database. LEIMS is a service which consists of a consolidated custom data management system, an open database structure and a graphical interface for data interpretation and communication. It is used to manage air emission data to facilitate the preparation of NPRI, regulatory reports and ECA Application data.
- Project leader for the implementation, installation and population of LEHDER’s MSDS management database. Classified all products according to WHMIS regulations.
Hazardous Materials Management
Mrs. Freer has conducted legislated, site-specific training programs for TDG, Ontario Regulation 347(558) [Waste], general safety and emergency/spill response. Other related projects include:
- Classified products according to TDG, 49CFR, IMDG and IATA regulations for a North American manufacturing facility. Prepared a manual illustrating labelling and documentation requirements for road, marine and air shipments of their dangerous goods.
- Managed an MSDS creation project for an International pharmaceutical company. This included the generation of 2500 product MSDSs, and population and management of the corporate database system. Liaised with international facility contacts and coordinated the LEHDER creation team.
- Implemented an MSDS database system for a North American chemical manufacturing corporation. This included design and code creation for algorithms to satisfy Canadian, American, and European regulations; and production of product and intermediate MSDSs.
|Education and Professional
B.Sc.(Env) Environmental Monitoring and Analysis, University of Guelph, 1996
Member of Air and Waste Management Association